FAQs and useful information

How do I get to my hospital appointment if I cannot travel on public transport?

Hospital transport can be booked, subject to certain criteria being met, by phoning 0845 8500 774.  If you do not qualify for hospital transport, you may be able to get transport from the Community Care Service provided by 3 Counties Transport.  You will need to pay for the transport (charge is 42p per mile from the driver’s home – minimum charge of £3.15).  They can be contacted on 01440 712028.

How do I request copies of my medical records?

Please speak to the secretaries at the surgery if you require access to your medical records. Requests will be dealt with within 40 days. 

How do I request online access to my records?

Please ask a receptionist for an application pack for online access to your medical records.  Currently this allows access to view coded data only but will be expanded in the future. 

I have back pain.  Do I need to see a GP to get a referral to the physio?

No.  Patients can self-refer to Allied Health Professionals for all musculoskeletal problems by completing the online form via or phoning 01379 873724.

I am feeling low in mood.  What services are available to me?

If you are feeling stressed, anxious, low or depressed you can self-refer to Wellbeing Suffolk by completing an online self-referral form at or phoning 0300 123 1781.  Children 15 and under will need to see a GP to access services.  If you have more severe mental health issues however please see a GP at the surgery for referral to the Suffolk Access and Assessment Team.

I would like a letter from the doctor to provide supporting medical information.  Is this possible?

The provision of a To Whom It May Concern letter is a non-NHS service and is therefore subject to a fee.  Please speak to the secretaries regarding your request who will be able to help. 

Can I have my passport application form signed by a GP?

No.  The practice will no longer sign passport application forms.

I have cancelled my holiday due to ill health and need a claim form completed by a GP.  Is there a charge for this?

Yes.  Completion of insurance claim forms is a non-NHS service and therefore a fee will need to be paid. 

I am pregnant.  Do I need to see a doctor to get referred to the midwife?

No.  Patients can self-refer to the midwives by calling 01440 766027. This will be answered by the Gainsborough Midwives Team. 

Where can I get advice on healthy living?

Patients in Suffolk can contact One Life Suffolk, an integrated healthy lifestyle service, providing advice on smoking cessation, weight loss for both adults and children, how to become more active and NHS health checks.  Please contact them online at or phone 01473 718193. 

I am a carer for my husband but I need to go into hospital for an operation.  How do I organise respite care for him while I am away?

Please speak to a GP to request Respite on Prescription.  The doctor will give you a form that you can send to Suffolk Family Carers who will organise respite care while you are in hospital.

I am widow and feel lonely.  Is there any support services available?

The Befriending Service gives people access to more varied services in the community and can provide an emotional outlet to share thoughts and feelings.  Weekly visits are arranged with a befriender.  Please contact Amanda Larcombe on 01683 608048 or go online at to download a referral form.

I need a HGV medical examination.  Can this be carried out at the surgery?

Yes.  We are able to perform certain medical examinations at the surgery such as HGV, PSV and taxi medicals.  However, employment medicals will need to be carried out by an occupational health company or private hospital.  Please note there is a fee for carrying out medicals as this is a non-NHS service. 

I need help completing a benefits application.  Who would I need to speak to?

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides free impartial advice on debt, benefits, housing, employment, relationships, work, education, tax law and rights.  The Haverhill branch is based in Lower Downs Slade, CB9 9HB.  Their contact number is 01440 762194.  Online advice can be found at

Where can I find a list of Care Providers & Care Homes in Suffolk?

Suffolk Care Services Directory 2019 – information on all aspects of care and support in Suffolk.

This independent service directory contains comprehensive information on social care in Suffolk, including an introduction to what care services are on offer near you as well as useful information on paying for care, staying independent, and lists of care providers in Suffolk.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website